We all know that cancer is a deadly disease. It affects people of all age groups. This disease is mainly popular in developing countries. So, let’s take some time and look into the some of the facts about cancer which you didn’t know.
Here are 15 facts about cancer which you need to know. Read on :
- There are some diseases like AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis. They cause quite a large number of deaths. But, cancer causes more deaths than all the three combined. In fact, one out of eight deaths in the world is due to cancer.
- There are different types of cancer. However in women, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer excluding skin cancer.
- Cherries are really good for people with cancer. Compounds found in cherries slow down the tumour growth and also kill the cancer cells.
- Even though it is hard to fight cancer, you must know that there are twenty eight million cancer survivors all over the world.
- In general, skin cancer is the most common type of cancer. In the U.S, at least two million people are diagnosed with skin cancer every year.
- Women who get pregnant for the first time after the age of thirty are more likely to get breast cancer compared to the women who get their first pregnancy while they are younger.
- Do you tend to sleep for fewer hours? Well, now you won’t. Studies show that people who sleep in the night for less than six hours have a greater possibility of developing cancer than those who sleep more.
- Well, you might know a few types of cancer. So, how many do you think there are? About 30 or 40? If you think so, you are not even close to the answer. There are more than 100 types of cancer and any part of your body can be affected.
- One can reduce the risks of skin cancer by avoiding the sun and using sunscreen or a hat while in the sun.
- Love to get tanned? Let me just give you a precaution: Tanning is as likely as plutonium to cause cancer. So, think twice before you get into a tanning bed next time.
- While some may think breast cancer is diagnosed only in women, it should be noted that even men have a possibility of developing breast cancer.
- Among both men and women, colon cancer is the second leading cause of death.
- Although cancer can be seen in people of all age groups, it is mostly diagnosed (77%) in people above 55 years of age.
- Cancer is spreading so rapidly that for every two minutes in the U.K, a person is diagnosed with cancer.
- When we take all the racial groups and compare, it is found that African Americans are more likely to develop cancer.